Home > Common Structural Problems > Wall Cracks
WALL CRACKS IN CALIFORNIA
Have you noticed any cracks in the walls of your California home? No matter how significant, this could be a sign of foundation settlement or sinking. Even the smallest cracks can be an indicator that you have a bigger issue at hand. A lot of the time, cracks will form over time in an aging home. So how do you know whether your wall cracks are serious issues, or just from having an old home? We can provide you with information about several different types of wall cracks and what they look like to give you an idea of how serious your wall cracks might be.
- Cracks that are vertical or that run at a 45-degree angle can indicate serious issues like water damage or a shifting foundation.
- Horizontal cracks or separated crack lines are a reason to call for a professional. These types of cracks can be a sign of severe damage.
- When cracks go up the same way that the drywall was hung, this means that they are mild and won't cause a drastic issue.
- Cracks that appear like stair-steps typically run along the cement or grout lines between the brickwork. Most commonly, stair-step cracks form when there is moisture in the bricks or frozen water under the foundation. This will make the foundation expand and rise, which will cause your wall will drop when the frozen water melts.
- When vertical cracks that start at the bottom of the floor and lead up the wall, this can be a sign that the foundation settled after construction, which is not a good sign.
Other Signs Of Foundation Failure in Southern California
Most of these wall cracks can be the initial signs of foundation failure and can cause damage to the entire structure of your home. As a homeowner in California, it is important to inspect the walls in your home and be on the lookout for cracks. There are several other signs of foundation failure that you should be looking out for as well, which include:
- Sloping Floors
- Sticking Windows
- Misaligned Trim
- Leaning Walls
- Floor Cracks
- Cabinets that won't shut
- Water Stains
- Ceiling Cracks
- Clogged Gutters
- Water pooling around your foundation
- Leaning Chimney
- Porch steps pulled away from the stoop
If you have noticed any of these indicators in the interior or exterior of your home, be sure to call FOUNDATIONS ON THE LEVEL immediately. Our team of highly trained and experienced professionals can help to solve any foundation issues you may have in your home. For foundation repair, our company uses the best equipment in the industry, manufactured by Earth Contact Products. These include resistance piers as well as helical piles, which work to raise your foundation and keep it level. We offer our services to both residential and commercial properties. Let FOUNDATIONS ON THE LEVEL be your professional contractors in Orange County and San Diego County, California.